The Hampden estate is one of Jamaica's oldest sugar plantations. Founded in 1743, the estate passed under the ownership of the Scottish Archibald Sterling in 1743, who built there a couple of years later the Great House of Hampden, whose ground floor functioned as a rum shop until 1900. In 1955 one of the property's structures was sold to Her Royal Highness Princess Alice, the then UWI Chancellor, the University of Western Indies in Mona, Jamaica. During the First World War, the Hampden Wharf was built in Falmouth, a pier for the shipping of sugar and rum, today a point for cruise ships and one of the island's major tourist attractions. In 2009 the Everglades Farms Ltd. owned by the Hussely family purchases the Hampden estate, with the aim of preserving the great tradition of rum distillation and the values of the founding family.