The Chartreuse was born in 1605 when the Carthusian monks of Vauvert (Paris), found a manuscript with the formula of an elixir of long life. Because of its complexity, the recipe was not produced, but in 1737, at the great Carthusian monastery in Grenoble, they began to do an in-depth study. Production then began but remained limited to the neighboring cities of Grenoble and Chambéry. This elixir is still marketed under the name of "Elisir vegetale della Grande-Chartreuse". The green Chartreuse was instead elaborated in 1764. During the French Revolution the monks, wanting to keep the recipe, gave it to the pharmacist of Grenoble, Liotard. The recipe will be returned to the monks at his death in 1816. The yellow Chartreuse was marketed for the first time in 1838. The Carthusians were expelled from France in 1903, and the Chartreuse was produced in Tarragona in Spain until 1929, when it returned to being produced in France. Since 1935, following a landslide in Fourvoirie, the liqueur is produced in Voiron. Since 1990, when the Tarragona distillery was closed, the Chartreuse is produced only in Voiron. Investigated by this mission by their religious order, the Carthusians of the great Charterhouse are the only ones to know the famous recipe. Even today the formula has remained a mystery despite the modern methods of investigation.